RULES v. 2 ( last edit 10.08.2007)
- Number of Players: 1 (or more)
- Duration: 5-30 min
- Atmosphere: light puzzle stacking game
- Theme: abstracted temple building
- 28 Dominoes (from double blank to double sixes)
- 1 foundation map (a 6x6 inch grid that is easily created with pen
Attempt to build a Ziggurat of Sacred Alignment in order to
please the gods.
HOW TO WIN
Use all the dominoes to build a tiered pyramid (ziggurat) with the
Mix all 28 dominoes face down in a pile and place your foundation
map before you.
The dominoes are the building blocks of your ziggurat.
The foundation map is where the ziggurat is to be built. Draw 3 dominoes
from the pile and turn them face up before you. These 3 dominoes are
your "hand". To play, you may take any one of the dominoes
from your hand and place it face up on the foundation map. Each time
you play a domino you may immediately refill your hand from the pile.
You are trying to build a three-tiered ziggurat that fits exactly
on the foundation map. In order for the ziggurat to be a "Ziggurat
of Sacred Alignment" the manner in which you place must be followed
by these rules:
- No domino or part of a domino may rest outside the foundation.
- The bottom tier must have 18 dominoes.
- The middle tier must have 8 dominoes.
- The top tier must have 2 dominos.
- Each tier must be centered to the foundation and square-shaped.
- No part of a domino may rest above another part of a domino that
is of equal of greater value.
- When placing a domino at least one half of the domino must be
adjacent to a domino of equal value. Such a domino may exist on
a different tier. Diagonals do not count.
- The bottom tier need not be complete before construction of the
middle or upper tier is begun. But dominoes must always rest on
other dominoes or the foundation (no balancing).
- Once a domino is placed, then it may not be repositioned except
Every domino picked up from the ziggurat and replaced is counted
as a cheat. If you cheat then your score is penalized 1 point per
domino repositioned. Add up all the cheats to get a score. Note: If
the domino that you want to reposition is resting underneath another,
both count as cheats.
- 0 cheats - Legendary Architect of the Divine.
- 1 cheat - Master Architect.
- 2 cheats - Reputable Architect.
- 3 cheats - Modest Architect.
- 4 cheats- Feeble Architect.
- 5 or more cheats - Disgraceful Blundering Saboteur.
Below is an example of the foundation and how the game might look
after a few turns. (See fig A) Domino values are represented by numerals
rather than pips in this diagram. Note the outline of each domino.
Then a player places a 1-4 domino. See fig B.
Then supposing the player chose to start building the second tier
on the space highlighted red below. See fig C.
A 3-2 domino is placed above the 1 and 1, but with one side still
adjacent to a 3. See fig D.
NOTES AND DEVELOPMENT HISTORY
This was one of the first games I created and it is more of a puzzle.
I made a Acrobat PDF printable mat with rules available for free here.
City Games for another different game entitled 'Ziggurat' using
dominoes (pure coincidence as I found out after posting my game!).
They have many other great free games.
Please, please let me know if you actually played this game. Email: